Duties & Tasks of a Engineering Manager
Engineering managers may perform the following tasks:
- direct the formulation of engineering strategies, policies and plans
- ensure quality, cost, safety, timelines and performance standards are met
- interpret plans, drawings and specifications
- provide advice on engineering methods and procedures to achieve construction and production requirements
- liaise with marketing, research and manufacturing managers concerning engineering aspects of new construction and product design
- determine and put into place project and work schedules and budgets
- ensure conformity with specifications and plans, as well as with laws, regulations and safety standards
- oversee maintenance requirements to optimise efficiency
- control engineering staff selection and training
- coordinate the activities of engineering staff
- contribute to research and development projects.
Working conditions for a Engineering Manager
Although engineering managers may spend many hours in the office, they are also required to spend time on site supervising progress.