Duties & Tasks of a Production Manager - Manufacturing
Manufacturing production managers may perform the following tasks:
- plan production policy in consultation with other managers
- plan details of production activity in terms of output quality and quantity, cost, time available, and labour requirements
- prepare work programs to achieve planned production and direct production control activities
- control use of production plant facilities through planning of maintenance, the setting of operating hours and supply of parts and tools
- coordinate and direct quality control procedures and the implementation of safety requirements, ensuring statutory requirements are met
- direct research into new and improved production methods and products
- monitor the preparation of production records and reports
- provide advice and information about production to other managers and clients
- recommend and implement initiatives such as new production techniques, products, purchase of new machinery and changes in staff levels
- supervise production staff and organise staff selection, training, development and utilisation.
Working conditions for a Production Manager - Manufacturing
They usually work indoors in factories and offices, often working closely with other professionals to design and plan the manufacture of new products.